SUPERCALLIFRAGILISTIC BRISKET RECIPE
from The Jewish Festival Cookbook by Fannie Engle and Gertrude Blair
(as modified by me)
What you need:
- 3 to 3 1/2 pounds beef brisket, first-cut
- salt and pepper
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 to 4 large yellow onions, sliced thin
- chopped garlic, as much as you like (out of a jar is fine)
- 2 cups of canned diced tomatoes
What you do:
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Brown meat in half the olive oil in heavy roasting pot or cast-iron pan, four minutes each side
- Remove meat to platter and brown garlic and sliced onions in same pan with rest of olive oil for about fifteen minutes
- Return meat to pot, cover with sliced onions, season with salt and pepper
- Pour diced tomatoes over everything
- Cover pot and bake for three to three and half hours, until fork tender
- Let cool, remove meat and sauce, refrigerate both overnight
- The next day, slice meat, add three tablespoons of water to sauce, and pour sauce over the slices
- Heat at 350 degrees for about half an hour
- Serve and enjoy
Six servings for hearty eaters, eight servings for picky eaters.
Good with garlicky mashed potatoes and haricots verts (very thin green beans).
Also good with anything you come up with. Let us know.